The Crimson Horror is the eleventh episode of the seventh series of revived Doctor Who. It is the 100th episode of the new series altogether. Written by Mark Gatiss it features Vastra, Jenny and Strax who travel to the North of England to uncover the secrets of a community where the dead are coloured crimson. The Doctor and Clara appear in a reduced capacity, episodes now refered to as Doctor/Companion lite episodes.
|7.11 The Crimson Horror|
|Written By||Mark Gatiss|
|Directed By||Saul Metsztein|
|Airdate||4th May 2013|
|Format||1 X 45 minute episode|
There’s something very odd about Mrs Gillyflower’s Sweetville mill, with its perfectly clean streets and beautiful people. There’s something even stranger about the bodies washing up in the river, all bright red and waxy. When the Doctor and Clara go missing, it’s up to Vastra, Jenny and Strax to rescue them before they too fall victim to the Crimson Horror.
- The episodes leads into Nightmare in Sliver with Artie and Angie discovering that Clara time travels with the Doctor.
- "The Crimson Horror" will see the return of Vastra, Jenny, and Strax from "The Snowmen and A Good Man Goes to War".
- The episode was "specially written" for mother and daughter Diana Rigg and Rachael Stirling. It was the first time the two had worked together on screen.
- The episode began filming the week of 2 July 2012, with location filming done in Bute Town, Caerphilly.
- It is the 100th episode of new Doctor Who broadcast since it returned in 2005. The 100th episode in production was The Rings of Akhaten.